While I am an Orthodox Jew, I recognize that I as well as all people of all religions can learn much from Buddhists and others. The greatest Jewish philosopher, the rational thinker Maimonides, reminded us that the truth is the truth no matter what its source. Not only rational philosophers, but even mystics stressed Maimonides’ teaching about taking truths from all sources, Jewish and non-Jewish. The famed kabbalist Rabbi Haim Attar (1696-1743) asked in his book Or Ha-Haim, in his commentary to Exodus 18:21, why does the Bible tell us the story of the Midianite pagan priest Jethro offering advice to the law-giver Moses and adds that Moses implemented the priest’s advice? Isn’t there enough knowledge among Jews? Why go to non-Jews for advice? Rabbi Attar answered, The Bible is teaching us that in all generations there are non-Jews with greater knowledge than Jews.
The current Dalai Lama who won the Nobel Peace Prize teaches that he has three commitments in life. These are commitments we should share.
- Promoting human values such as compassion, forgiveness, contentment, and self-discipline.
- Promoting religious harmony and understanding among the world’s religious traditions.
- Preserving peace and non-violence.
I would add three more. In his Guide of the Perplexed, Maimonides tells us that there are three purposes to the Hebrew Bible. These are also significant ideas that we should stress.
- Scripture teaches some truths. Note that he does not say all truths. We need to study the sciences to learn more about life, and we need to encourage others to study as well.
- The Bible also encourages us to improve as much as we can, to be all that we can be.
- And it encourages us to help improve society.
I also enjoy the teachings of Ram Mohan Roy. He was a deist and social reformer. He was tolerant and rational like Maimonides, Roy carried a Bible, and I think they would have gotten along. Rambam talked about taking truths from all sources. Even atheists like Confucius can teach the truth.
We agree. The truth is the truth no matter who articulates it.
In addition to Buddhist teaching, there is a lot of science in meditation.
I agree with the essay. In addition to the Dalai Lama and Zen Buddhists, I enjoy the teachings of Confucius.